5 reasons to use Lanschool to improve student learning outcomes

Since last year my school has been involved in a pilot 1:1 netbook program in Grades 4-6.  At the beginning of this year, all classroom had Lanschool  installed on their own computers.

It is important to note that while many administrators and teachers use it primarily to monitor what students are doing on their devices (similar to a ‘Nanny cam’), there are countless ways in which Lanschool can be used to improve teaching and learning outcomes:

1. Show Teacher’s Screen

This feature enables the teacher to broadcast their screen to another device, such as an TV or, most importantly, the students’ own device.  I use this feature on a daily basis, especially when modelling a learning task.  Once the teacher’s screen is broadcast onto students’ devices, they cannot control their screen until ‘show teacher’s screen’ is disabled.  I find that this helps gain and sustain students’ attention.

2. Show Student’s Screen To Students

I strongly believe in peer assessment, which makes this feature perfect.  As I am roving around the classroom, I am constantly on the lookout for a student’s work to display to the grade at the end of the lesson.  I will display the student’s screen to the class, and we will give them warm and cool feedback.  The student can then edit their work in real time as they are listening to their peers’ suggestions.

3. Remote Controlling

Sometimes, as I have a Mac, I will model how to engage with a learning task by remote controlling a student’s netbook, and sharing their screen with the other netbooks or on the Apple TV.  This provides an excellent visual for my grade, and inevitably means that most students are able to independently access the learning task.

4. Create test

Although I have never used this option before, it is possible to create a test on Lanschool in multiple choice, true/false and short answer formats, as well as including graphics.

5. Voting

Another useful feature, which enables the teacher to assess students’ understanding in real time.  Voting can include either multiple choice or true/false responses.